Upgrading to Drupal 8/9 using the Migrate API
Learn to use the Migrate API to upgrade your Drupal 6/7 site to Drupal 8/9. Check how the automated upgrade procedure can help you get a head start in writing the migrations. You will have the opportunity to change your site’s information architecture as part of the upgrade process
With the maturity of Drupal 8 and version 9 already available, now is a great time to upgrade your site from Drupal 6 or 7. In this training, you will learn how to plan and execute successful upgrade projects.
You will learn different migration strategies, how to accommodate changes in site architecture, tips on troubleshooting issues, and much more.
- Understand the different approaches to upgrading your site to Drupal 8/9 using the Migrate API.
- Revise site architecture and map configuration from the previous site to the new one (content types, fields, etc).
- Learn how to migrate data into media entities and paragraphs.
- Learn how to migrate data from modules that do not offer automated upgrade paths.
- Project setup overview.
- Overview of expectations and limitations of the Migrate upgrade procedure.
- Configuring database connection settings for the upgrade process.
- Using the Migrate Drupal UI module to understand module requirements for running upgrades.
- Using the Migrate Upgrade module to generate migration files.
- Cherry-picking content migrations for getting a content type migrated to Drupal 9.
- Modifying a migration to convert a content type to a user entity.
- Modifying a migration to convert a content type to a paragraph entities.
- Migration images to media entities.
- Writing a custom process plugin for providing a migrate path for modules that do not include one already.
- Tips and recommendations upgrade projects.
This is an advanced course that requires familiarity with the Drupal migration concepts. Our Drupal 8/9 content migrations training will give you all the background knowledge that you need. Alternatively, you can read the 31 days of migrations series in our blog or watch this video for an overview of the Migrate API.
Individuals and organizations who want to upgrade their Drupal 6/7 sites to Drupal 8/9. They will learn about the workflow and thought process to execute a successful upgrade project. There will be plenty of hands on examples to demonstrate different migration strategies even for projects that do not offer automatic upgrade paths. Time will also be allocated to answer attendee’s project specific questions for topics not covered in the predefined material. Get tickets now!
Having a Drupal 7 and Drupal 9 local installation is required to take this course. We offer this repository with a virtual machine configured with the two Drupal installations used in the training. Alternatively, you can use a tool like DrupalVM, Lando, DDEV, or Docksal. You will have to be able to restore a MySQL database dump containing the Drupal 7 database. Drupal 9 site needs to be able to connect to the Drupal 7 database. Drush needs to be installed in order to run migrations from the command line.
This training will be provided over Zoom. You can ask questions via text chat or audio. Sharing your screen, but you might want to do it to get assistance on a specific issue. Sharing your camera is optional.
What to expect
Prior to the training
Attendees will receive detailed instructions on how to setup their development environment. In addition, they will be able to join a support video call days before the training event to make the the local development environment is ready. This prevents wasting time fixing problems with environment set up during the training.
On the day of the training
- A 1-hour lunch break from 12:00 PM to 1:00 PM ET plus two 15-minutes breaks (one in the morning and another in the afternoon).
- A team of developers available to answer questions and help with training-related issues.
After the training
- Attendees will receive copies of the training recordings.
- Attendees will receive a free copy of the 31 days of migrations book.
- Attendees will receive a certificate of completion.