Getting started with Drupal 9
This training is for people who want to get a solid foundation in Drupal site building. No Drupal experience is required!
With hands-on, guided exercises from start to finish, attendees will have the opportunity to get comfortable with Drupal's administration interface, and build a simple, fully functional website.
You will learn how different concepts relate to each other: nodes, content types, fields, views, users, blocks, taxonomy terms, and menus. By the end of the training, you will be able to identify the different building blocks of a Drupal site and know where to look when modifications are needed.
- Step through the Drupal installation process.
- Create nodes and understand their properties.
- Create content types and add fields.
- Configure fields of different types.
- Create taxonomy vocabularies and terms.
- Create views to display listings of content.
- Create, place, and control the visibility of blocks.
- Override the presentation of nodes with Layout Builder.
- Understand the user and permission system.
- Understand the taxonomy system.
- Understand the menu system.
- Install and configure contributed modules and themes.
- Understand how Drupal can be extended to meet specific project needs.
No previous experience with Drupal is needed.
A working Drupal 9 installation. You can have a local installation using the quick-start command. Alternatively, you can use a tool like DrupalVM, Lando, DDEV, or Docksal. Online services like https://pantheon.io/ can be used.
This training will be provided over Zoom. You can ask questions via text chat or audio. Sharing your screen, but you might want to do it to get assistance on a specific issue. Sharing your camera is optional.
What to expect
Prior to the training
Attendees will receive detailed instructions on how to setup their development environment. In addition, they will be able to join a support video call days before the training event to make the the local development environment is ready. This prevents losing time fixing problems with environment set up during the training.
On the days of the training
- The training will take place over two half-days, 3 and a half hours per session
- A team of developers available to answer questions and help with training-related issues.
After the training
- Attendees will receive a copy of the training recording.
- Attendees will receive a certificate of completion.